South Africa is one of the most popular destinations for medical tourism, boasting some of the best doctors and facilities in the world as well as many tourist attractions and should not be overlooked. Among its many attractions, the country offers highly affordable medical treatments as well as some of the world’s best doctors and health care facilities, together with vacation options that are unrivalled anywhere else in the world. Since legendary surgeon Christiaan Barnard put South Africa’s healthcare services on the map by performing the world’s first heart transplant in Cape Town, the country’s reputation for medical excellence has gone from strength to strength.
Today, the country is ranked by the Southern African Development Community (SADC) as the leader in the African market for health tourism, and is a minor hub worldwide alongside nations like India, Singapore, and Thailand. South Africa offers a wide range of low-cost treatments, together with a level of professionalism and quality that sets its healthcare providers apart from the competition.
In addition to essential treatments, South Africa is well known for affordable cosmetic surgery procedures as well as fertility treatments, breast enlargements, cosmetic dentistry and others, creating a thriving medical tourism industry. A large number of medical tourists come from other countries within Africa, particularly for affordable infertility treatments. Many other patients also come from US, Australia, Germany, Italy, Britain, Netherlands, and other parts of Europe.
But there’s more on offer than just medicine. Many popular ‘surgeon and safari’ packages combine affordable treatments at a cosmetic plastic surgery clinic with exciting features such as 5 star accommodation in and around Cape Town. A recovery program in a spa or a resort, and a safari tour, all included in a very affordable and attractive price. Many patients also choose to stay in the country for longer periods and take advantage of the abundant sunshine, world-class beaches, exciting sports, shopping, and a variety of other attractions that make South Africa a truly unique tourist destination. Some of the many reasons that South Africa is one of the world’s most popular medical tourism destinations include:
- Modern living: Unlike many other African countries, urban South Africa and especially Cape Town offers a modern, cosmopolitan experience for medical travellers.
- Facilities: Medical tourists can expect to find highly trained doctors working in modern, accredited hospitals and clinics with state-of-the-art equipment.
- Currency: Thanks to the weakness of the rand, hundreds of medical procedures are available at a comparatively low cost, with most surgeries coming in at roughly a third of the price for an equivalent procedure in the UK. Affordable breast augmentation, for example, costs around $8000 in the UK, but only about $3600 in South Africa. More minor treatments, such as botox injections, can be even cheaper – $310 in the UK vs. $70 in South Africa.
- Natural beauty: Those who want to take in the country’s rich natural beauty and get away from the cities won’t be disappointed either. Beautiful scenery countrywide, the opportunity to see wild animals in their natural habitats, and a variety of tranquil, natural settings all promote relaxation and recovery following a medical procedure.
- Language: English is widely spoken in most of the country, and especially in major cities like Cape Town, simplifying communication.
- Jetlag: As an added bonus, those coming for treatment abroad from Europe, the UK, and Africa at large will experience very little jetlag, making the journey an easier one.
Europe, the UK, and Africa at large will experience very little jetlag, making the journey an easier one. All in all, South Africa is a unique and attractive destination for medical tourism, boasting world-class plastic surgeons and facilities to attend to all your medical needs. These outstanding healthcare services come together with five-star tourist attractions to make a holiday worth remembering.
All this comes at a price that is hard to beat, allowing you to take full advantage of all that South Africa has to offer. Our promise to you is to provide the best possible experience of Cape Town medical tourism, assisting you every step of the way, and ensuring that you leave fully satisfied. Book a medical vacation to South Africa today. Visit www.medicaltourismsa.com for further information.